Tabs

1/18/2010

LibriVox rox my sox!

Do you, dear reader, love to read? Ah, I know a sharp person when I see one! But are you stuck in a car for hours each week commuting to work? Well, waste no more time on drab talk-radio.....meet LibriVox!

Granted, a little over the top, but if you drive 40 minutes to work everyday, you'd be excited too. I recently discovered this little treasury of knowledge while looking for audiobooks (vox is Latin for "voice," I think). It has TONS of books that are recorded by volunteers. All the books are in the public domain (that is, they're old--I haven't found any John Grisham, sadly), but there are a lot of them!

Let me give you two reasons I'm lovin' some LibriVox...

Books. I'm a proud bibliophile.

FREE. I'm a known tightwad.

Since they are recorded by volunteers, the quality of the audiobooks is a little "hit-and-miss" at times, plus if the book is really long it may have multiple readers, but I'll sacrifice a little quality for some sweet moolah. I heard about it a little over a year ago, but only recently found out that it contains theological books. I've already listened to The Enchiridion (or, "The Handbook") by Epictetus and now I'm listening to The Wars of the Jews by Josephus (9 hours of audio...might take a while).

Don't get me wrong...I love the smell and feel and experience of reading a book that is in my hands (which is why I haven't bought into the Kindle craze), but I like to make my drive to work as productive as possible. If you're a multi-tasker and love to read, this is the site for you!

2 comments:

  1. You are so smart. I cannot wait to read your thoughts on here. I know we talk a lot, but there's something special about reading the written thoughts of someone else, especially someone you love. I like your blog already!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! I agree--I get excited every time you post! Thanks for your help:-)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...