Tabs

7/09/2010

Tattoo Thoughts

I think some tattoos are weird, gross, odd, and disturbing. Others are redneck, hillbilly, and plain dumb (like the scorpion tattoo I recently saw on the top of a bald guy's head). However, some tattoos are incredibly cool.

That being said, I've considered getting a tattoo for quite some time but since I was not (and am not) completely sure I haven't done it (they cost quite a bit of jack, from what I've heard).

Any tattoo on my body must meet two criteria:
  1. Aesthetics: it must look wickedly awesome.
  2. Significance: it must mean something (to me, at least)
So I've thought about it for a while and have made a breakthrough. I won't say I'm completely sold on the idea, but this is the best thing I've found so far: 
 evkei/non dei/ auvxa,nein, evme. de. evlattou/sqai

"He must increase but I must decrease" (John 3:30)

Let me tell you a few reasons I like this:
  1. John 3:30 is just an awesome verse and makes a great motto. Besides the fact that it looks really cool, this verse reminds me that my life is not my own and pride (one of my biggest faults) should have no place in my heart.
  2. It is a Greek uncial (manuscript with capital letters) which looks cooler than the miniscule (the lower case letters just below the image).
  3. AND this is an image from Codex Sinaiticus, one of the world's oldest Bibles (the oldest significant book to survive antiquity, in fact). In the 4th century, Eusebius, the "father of church history" made about 50 "luxury edition" Bibles and this codex (book) seems to be one of them. It was found in the middle of the 19th century in the Monastery of St. Catherine, Mount Sinai.
For an idea of what this may look like, check out this guy's tattoo.

I have a few reservations that keep nagging at me about this:
  1. I'm not sure if I like how the verse is formed into two and a half lines. I wish it were even and symmetrical, perhaps just in two lines. However, the more I look at it the less this bothers me.
  2. Where would I put this? I don't think I like it high on my side (like the guy in the above link), so I think about the side of my shoulder or on the inside of my forearm. However, would it fit well on my shoulder, and would I be able to read it easily (without breaking my neck)? Also, if I put it on my forearm, do I want it visible for anyone to see?
I'm not sure. I really like the idea but I have to put a lot more thought into this before I go through with it.

1 comment:

  1. the lack of symmetry bugs me. you know i like symmetry. you're fun!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...