Tabs

6/27/2010

Communion with Jesus

In the ancient Near East, the average Babylonian or Assyrian did not have much contact with his god. Aside from seeing the idol be paraded through town during the New Year's festival, there was no intimacy and communion at all.

What is more interesting is that even the king did not have true communion with the god. He basically got the god's "leftovers." The priests would approach the god's sanctuary with a bowl of water for the god to "wash his hands" and then bring in wine, beer, etc. for him to drink, followed by the meat, the main entree.

When all the food was set for the god, the priests would close the curtain because no one could watch the god eat (they assumed he consumed the food upon looking at it). After the god was finished, all the food would be carried to the king for him to eat. The king was thought to live from the god's table, but he did not eat with the god.

How surprising, then, when Jesus says,
"Take, eat; this is my body." And he took a cup, and when he had given thanks he gave it to them, saying, "Drink of it, all of you, for this is my blood of the covenant, which is poured out for many for the forgiveness of sins. I tell you I will not drink again of this fruit of the vine until that day when I drink it new with you in my Father's kingdom" (Matt. 26:26-29).
Not only do we eat with our Lord, we eat the body of our Lord...
Truly, truly, I say to you, unless you eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink his blood, you have no life in you. Whoever feeds on my flesh and drinks my blood has eternal life, and I will raise him up on the last day. For my flesh is true food, and my blood is true drink. Whoever feeds on my flesh and drinks my blood abides in me, and I in him (John 6:53-56).
Our Lord eats with us every Sunday. Actually, we eat of Him. The "nip and a sip" may not seem like much, but the Lord is present with His saints.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...