Tabs

6/14/2010

In the Mail

D.A. Carson, New Testament Commentary Survey (Grand Rapids: Baker Academic, 2007), 160 pages.

Man, I'm excited about this book! Preachers like me often wonder which books they should add to their libraries but D.A. Carson provides this helpful survey of the strengths and weaknesses of many New Testament commentaries, both recent and dated.

I may provide a more detailed review in future, but just perusing the pages after opening the package has shown me this is all that I heard it was. Carson is a theological heavyweight and one of my favorite authors (though I by no means agree with all of his conclusions). He is not fearful to offer an honest critique of some of the biggest names in Biblical literature. For example, in his survey of the commentaries on Matthew, Carson offers a brief critique of N.T. Wright's two volume set, saying it is written with "color and verve" but because Wright places so much emphasis on the theme of Jesus bringing Israel out of Exile that he misses other important themes, causing this work to be "an exercise in brilliant reductionism" (p. 56). I love it! I like N.T. Wright's stuff, but what an awesome way of saying, "It's a good book but it misses the point on a lot of stuff."

Carson notes the purpose of these commentaries, whether each is suited for advanced studies or otherwise, their focus (theological, grammatical, Greek, etc.) and many other things. Many times I don't know where to start when I look for commentaries because I don't really have the time and especially not the money to spend on several commentaries. Thus, I expect this survey will be a great help in adding important books to my library.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...