Tabs

6/11/2010

My Dislike of Pride and Prejudice is neither Proud nor Prejudiced

No, I haven't read the book. But having watched the movie on more than one occasion has solidified my notion that this is one of the most boring stories. Perhaps ever. And as the post title suggests, I am not motivated by ignorant, masculine resistance to all things feminine (I like the Twilight movies); rather, I just don't get it.

What is the story about? I don't even know. Perhaps the meaning is obscured by the quick tempo British accents throughout the movie or maybe I'm just not wired to understand. It's hard enough for me to understand relationship stuff in Southern English (my native tongue)...much less in British.

I love Donald Miller's assessment of the book. He said one of his girlfriends told him that he should read this book if he wanted to understand a girl's heart. He read the book and concluded that a girl's heart is incredibly boring.

Where are the ninjas? Where are the lightsabers? Where are the dwarves with axes and elves with bows and arrows? Where are the cowboys and pistols? What about a damsel in distress? (Wild at Heart is coming to mind...).

Sigh. Maybe it will make sense this time. My wife and I turn choosing a movie into a game--I pick out several DVDs based on genre one of us suggests. Earlier, my wife suggested a "You've Got Mail-like" movie, so I picked out Ever After, An Affair to Remember, You've Got Mail (this DVD is almost wore out at our house;), Juno, First Knight, and reluctantly, Pride and Prejudice. Before you assume I'm a glutton for punishment, remember that the next step in this game involves each of us eliminating a movie until there is only one left. Jessica eliminated Juno. I eliminated Ever After (mainly because it was a VHS which is horrible quality on our flat screen) and went ahead and eliminated Pride and Prejudice while I was at it. In the end we watched You've Got Mail...and now we're watching Pride and Prejudice. 

So while the characters do some kind of British square dance and Kiera Knightley's character (I don't even know her name) spars with Mr. Darcy, I type this snide post in silent (?) protest. Maybe the next movie we watch will be X-Men or Superman Returns.

I can't wait for Netflix to send "For a Few Dollars More." I'll need some Eastwood after this night;-).

4 comments:

  1. your ears have become dull of hearing because of your hardness of heart...you haven't even given it a chance. perhaps you should actually watch it before you make such an assessment. if you don't even know the heroine's name then i'm afraid you aren't allowed to pass judgment.

    but i thank you for at least sitting in the room with me while i watch it. you're sweet like that and i love you for it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heroin is a drug, Jessica. I don't do drugs.

    I love you too:). Movie nights are fun.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love both of you and a good movie night!

    This was an interesting post...I do like the story of Pride and Prejudice but I'll admit it doesn't make much sense in the way of relationships...They hate each other, then magically like each other (with no real time to get to know each other) and then fight to be together, while still fighting to be apart.

    Who knows!? But it's sweet sometimes.

    p.s. I love the album 'Sixteen Stone' by Bush too! (this is on your sidebar btw)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know! It's so confusing. Jessica said she liked the part of Mr. Darcy walking in the field to come for what's-her-name. I guess he finally made up his mind.

    Sixteen Stone is a classic. I've been revisiting the 90s lately and loving it!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...