Tabs

12/02/2010

Mail RSS vs. Google Reader, etc.

This icon, known as the "feed icon" ...Image via Wikipedia
What is the best method for viewing blogs? In the past I have used Google Reader for retrieving blogs but had too many feeds and this became overwhelming (at least to me). Then I started simply visiting a few webpages, but this becomes too time consuming and narrow. A few days ago I entered several feeds into Mac OS X Mail with it RSS capability and have been very pleased.


Basically, I like this method because it brings everything into the same place with my email. I don't have to surf to different web pages and I don't even have to log in to Google or Blogger...just click the Mail icon. Plus it fits with the Mac branding for mail. It automatically updates every so often and is right under my inbox. Nice.

On a similar note, I've started using Tweetdeck, a desktop program that brings Twitter and Facebook together (as well as other programs that I do not use). Once again, I like this because with the click of a button all your information is brought to you side-by-side in columns. Further, you can post to either Twitter, Facebook, or both at the same time. Neat, huh?
Enhanced by Zemanta

3 comments:

  1. I used to use Internet Explorer 7's built-in RSS reader but when my old computer crashed I lost all of my feeds. I then switched to Google Reader which I like better because I can check it from any computer no matter where I am. And when at home I'm logged in all the time so there's no need to enter my info every time I go on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i like to click on individual blogs so i don't care for any of the blog readers like that. it does take more time, but it seems more personal. just my 2 cents.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nick: Hi! Mobile viewing is definitely a plus for Google Reader. That has been my problem since using the RSS feeds...I can't view them with the same ease on my phone or another computer. There may be a way to sync Mail with my phone but I don't know how to do that yet. I'm going to stick with it a bit longer and see how I feel about it.

    Jessica: I know what you mean. I really like the aesthetics of visiting a blog but the convenience of a reader outweighs aesthetics. At least for me.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...