Tabs

11/25/2010

Highlights of SBL 2010

  • The book exhibit. Oh, only if a camera could capture the excitement at this place!
  • The Historical Jesus session in which Darrell Bock, Craig S. Keener, Robert Webb, Amy-Jill Levine, and Robert Miller responded to one another. What I appreciated most about this session was the respectful dialogue between the respondents. While Levine and Miller did not hesitate to utilize their wit and sarcasm and Bock, Keener, and Webb held to their guns, neither "camp" resorted to petty name-calling or such like. Surprising, however, were the concessions by Keener and Webb regarding their doubts about the historicity of certain events in the life of Jesus.
  • The biblioblogger session. This was just fun. I met Bill Heroman and saw several other bibliobloggers. It was a very pleasant atmosphere brewing with excitement about the future of scholarship and online publication. On a side note, Christian Brady is a lot taller than I pictured him. "Best Dressed Award" goes to Robert Cargill, whose cufflinks and sharp threads stole the show.
  • Matthew Larson's paper on the common oral source for the Two Ways in Hebrews 6:1-6 and the Didache.
  • Meeting new people. I doubt the people I met blog so I won't mention their names.
  • Getting to know friends. I stayed with my professor in his room at the Hyatt and we had a blast. He's a great scholar, godly man, and a lot of fun to be around.
  • Seeing some famous scholars, such as Bart Ehrman, Richard Hays, Lawrence Schiffman, and N.T. Wright (being a lowly graduate student I was much too timid to introduce myself to this heavyweight, so I did what everyone does...snuck up and took a picture;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...