Tabs

11/18/2010

Specializing

Most biblical scholars and professors have developed a specialty or specialties in their studies (except guys like D. A. Carson who seem to specialize in everything!). It is recommended to begin specializing relatively early on in one's studies. Otherwise, one will know "a little about a lot." Right now I know a "little about a little."

Common specialties in the academic world are the historical Jesus, Christian origins, early Judaism, Greco-Roman backgrounds, the Gospels (or an individual gospel), Pauline studies, patristics, languages, etc.

But where should I start? After every class I take I find a new specialty I would like to explore. Perhaps a specialty is something to be developed once a foundation has been laid but right now I am still laying the foundation. Perhaps once I finish my MA program I can look back and see the subjects that really stand out to me and interest me.

Right now things I really enjoy are Greek, Paul's epistles, and the gospel of John (it would take a lifetime to read the literature on John alone!). I also like historical backgrounds, which is why I want to learn Latin--so I can read the classics as well as the church fathers.

Perhaps going to SBL and seeing the academic exchanges among the world's top scholars will help lead me in the right direction.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...