Tabs

5/11/2010

Footnotes vs. Endnotes

I prefer footnotes to endnotes. Footnotes make reading so much easier. I've been reading a book with massive endnotes which is a pain because I'm constantly flipping back and forth between pages. Here are my ideas about footnotes:

  • You don't have to turn the page...just a glance of the eye will show you the author's note and you can quickly return to reading without having to fumble back through the book.
  • "Well, what if the endnotes are really long?" Don't make them long! Be concise and succinct! The book I'm reading is quite verbose, not only in the chapters but in the endnotes. Briefly say what you need to say then proceed.
  • I don't mind if even half a page consists of footnotes occasionally because even then I'm not having to flip back and forth constantly. 
Just saying.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...