Tabs

10/01/2010

Critical and/or Devotional?

In the spring of this year, I hit a theological "roadblock." I felt a conflict between my academic studies and my personal, spiritual life. Perhaps this happened in the spring because that was the hardest semester of studies BY FAR (I think there were over half a dozen books to read and critique as well as part of Josephus and Epictetus, 3-4 research papers, the standard exams, all in addition to full-time ministry). Apparently, the massive amount of academic studies started to make me cold spiritually. I felt like there was a conflict between the "critical method" of biblical interpretation and the devotional "method" (if I may call it that).

But is there a conflict? The "critical method" simply means approaching the Bible without presuppositions, not as in criticizing it and pointing out weaknesses but simply trying to examine the text historically, linguistically, and exegetically. The "devotional method" is "how can I apply this to my life" kind of thinking. Both obviously have a place, but is it together?

I think they are both indispensable. Critical Bible study without the willingness to allow the Word to change one's life is merely an exercise in intellect. However, jumping straight to "what does this mean for me?" is foolish and quite impossible. There must be study. Before one can find what the text means "to him" he must find what it means...period! He must find authorial intent, to the best of his abilities, anyway.

Sadly, the tendency of some is to throw the baby out with the bath water. The skepticism and liberal leanings of some Bible scholars have led well-meaning Christians to reject serious, critical study. On the other hand, the blind, legalistic, set-in-tradition manners of some fundamentalists have led other well-meaning people to reject any kind of personal application or even interpretation.

So I believe there is harmony in these two methods, but each Bible student must strive for that elusive gem--balance.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...